Ignition Interlock

Interlock deviceThe average drunk driver has driven impaired by alcohol and/or drugs 80 times before a first arrest, and on any given day, your family shares the roadways with more than 2 million impaired drivers who have had three or more prior convictions.

While suspending the license of these individuals makes sense, in reality, three out of four of those with a suspended license continue to drive, threatening the safety of you and your loved ones.  STOP-DWI NY supports the usage of ignition interlock devices to require all convicted drunk drivers to prove they are sober before the car will start.

An Ignition Interlock Device (IID) is a breath-alcohol measurement device installed into a vehicle to prevent a person from starting the engine, or in certain cases, to continue to operate a motor vehicle after having consumed alcohol.  The driver must blow into the device before the vehicle will start.

The device records the following:Interlock

  1. Attempts to start the vehicle (with photo).
  2. The alcohol level of the individual at the time of starting the vehicle (with photo).
  3. The alcohol level at random intervals (with photo).
  4. Date, times and location the vehicle is operated.
  5.  Attempts to circumvent the device.

NYS Qualified Ignition Interlock Device Manufacturer Listing

The NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services has qualified the following Ignition Interlock Device Manufacturers.  Please contact your local Ignition Interlock Monitor prior to any installation of an interlock device.  

Alcolock, NY Inc.

Consumer Safety Technologies, LLC. (Intoxalock)

Draeger, Inc.

Smart Start, LLC

Ignition Interlock FAQs

How reliable are ignition interlocks?

Who pays for the device?

How much do the device cost?  What if the offender can’t afford it?

Could an interlock stop a person’s car in traffic, making a more dangerous hazard?

Aren’t interlocks an inconvenience to family members who share the offender’s vehicle?

How do I remove the interlock restriction from my license once I have completed my term?